Thursday, May 3, 2012

What would I do without Career Services?

By Amanda Barrell, news-editorial journalism major at CU-Boulder

Now that I am settled into my job, I find myself asking this in retrospect. What would I have done without the caring and dedicated staff at CU’s Career Services Center?

Six months ago, I started a job at CU with a temporary contract working at an information desk.  As I would come to discover, the job was… not what I was expecting.  I never seemed to find enough tasks with which to fill my time, and I rarely felt accomplished at the end of the day.

I sought help from CU’s Career Service office where I began a friendship with two of the employees, who happened to have a strong connection with the Boulder Chamber. They helped me look for a job that would not only keep me busy, but would also leave me feeling of fulfillment and importance. 

With the help of the employees at the Career Services office, I tightened up my resume, wrote an engaging cover letter and applied for several promising positions.  Most recently, the people I had befriended let me know about a job opening with the Boulder Chamber of Commerce.  With my much-perfected resume and cover letter, I applied for the position and was asked to come in for an interview. They offered me the position that same day!

With my skills and the wonderful assistance and encouragement from everyone at Career Services, I was able to land the job and started my first day of work this week with the Boulder Chamber of Commerce.

Everyone at Career Services was so encouraging and helpful.  I really don’t know what I would have done without them. I would highly recommend a visit to Career Services to anyone looking to land a great job or to learn how to succeed in today’s competitive job market.

9 comments:

  1. Nice posting. Career service is really very helpful to find right job as well as manage our career. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Admiring the time and effort you put into your weblog and detailed information you provide! catering for events"
    salwar kameez indian style

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is full of knowledge & boost up my inner capability .
    dark knight rises bane coat

    ReplyDelete
  4. When ever I talked about career I need you know the the importance of book report writing because this something I found extremly hard for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some attention-grabbing points in time on this article but I don?t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity however I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as properly.
    bollywood saree

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.hotelapartmentsindubai.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.
    tuxedo suits for men

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative article. Pretty sure people would love to go to that place for shopping. Specially to those who are semi naughty or semi conservative people. I guess there are a lot of things their that can be bought.
    nehru jacket

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment made me think...we should all have PayPal accounts or some kind of COD online delivery account, since we email thesis writing service everything into the agencies anyway. The agency pays, then they get their transcript.

    ReplyDelete