Thursday, September 6, 2012

5 Questions with Brittney Acre


Brittney is a senior at CU-Boulder, who is originally from Arvada, Colorado. She is a Psychology major at Boulder and is also working toward a certificate in Neuroscience. She is an Undergraduate Research Assistant at the CUChange Lab where she assists in conducting transdisciplinary research to explore the psychological, physiological, and genetic factors that are linked with health behavior. At CUChange Lab Brittney does data entry, passes out consent forms, and explains to participants what they will be doing in the research experiments. Brittney’s specific interests are in addiction research.

1.     What are your career goals?
My ultimate goal is to become a physician and hopefully be a part of Doctors Without Borders. In order to make this dream possible I am working toward getting into medical school as well as going into the Peace Corps after finishing my undergraduate career in May 2013.

2.     What are some things you have done to build up your resume?
In order to build up my resume I have volunteered and gotten involved on campus throughout my college career. I am a part of the American Medical Student Association (AMSA), Neuroscience Club, Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology, Phi Sigma Pi Honor Fraternity, and an International Student Volunteers student representative on campus. These clubs and organizations have been great resources not only for building my resume, but also for making friendships with peers who have similar interests.

3.     Can you tell us specifically about the International Student Volunteers (ISV) program and how you found it?
International Student Volunteers (ISV) is an organization that promotes volunteering overseas (Africa, Costa Rica, Thailand, Ecuador, ect). I traveled to South Africa and the Dominican Republic to help build a school for children and teach them English and basic hygiene. My job as an ISV student rep is to promote the program on campus. It was through another ISV student rep, who talked to my biology class and sent around flyers for interested students, that I actually found this program when I was a freshman. This is an amazing program for people who are willing to take risks and have a passion for helping others.

4.     What was your recent experience at the volunteer fair, coordinated by the Volunteer Resource Center?
The volunteer fair was very helpful because it showcases the many volunteer opportunities available, and that there is something for everyone. Some organizations that sparked my interest were the Peace Corps and the Women’s Health Center. The volunteer fair was a great way to get more information about different organizations as well as how to get started in volunteer work.

5.     How has pre-health advising been helpful for you?  How do they work?
Pre-health advising has been the most helpful utility I have used in order to stay on track for getting into medical school. There is a pre-health website that provides useful information about the admissions process, committee letters, MCAT prep, and medical school prerequisites. Before meeting with my pre-health advisor I had no idea how many steps are involved in applying to medical school. My advisor helped me make a timeline to organize when to take certain classes (Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics) and start working on committee letters and MCAT prep. Without the pre-health advising center I would have felt lost during the application process.

7 comments:

  1. hi. thanks for sharing such interesting tips . they are really helpful.

    International Student in US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad that you found this helpful! Let me know if you have nay further questions about volunteering or the pre-med process, I would be glad to help.

      Delete
  2. Take your game plan in with you for your interview and do not get distracted or lose your focus if you find yourself confronted by an inexperienced or rude interviewer. It will take but a few questions to realize if you have indeed entered into “interview hell.” If you have, do an immediate internal “gut check” and tell yourself that you are dissertation help uk going to let this person distract you from accomplishing what you set out to do – execute your game plan and give yourself the best possible opportunity to land this job, or get yourself to the next round of interviews. Be pleasant, smile when appropriate, stay focused, answer each question and find the opportunity to turn the interview into a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the biggest discipline woosey (is that how it's spelled?). Anyway, I am working on finishing our rental house renovation and getting a little bit more motivation and pizazz back in my life. the work on the house has been draining me like crazy of pestle analysis apple energy and desire to do anything. I'm glad to hear you have a plan in place to move forward for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proceeds from Boulder follow paper editing up networking event will go to a scholarship fund for financially deserving/high achieving students to help them purchase professional interviewing attire! Appetizers will be provided courtesy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ask right questions. I like your post. Thanks a lot.

    http://www.paperwritings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allied air causes assaulted Nazi commercial vegetation, such as the one at the Auschwitz camp (though the gas compartments were never targeted). breast enlargement cream

    ReplyDelete