Wednesday, March 5, 2014

There are No Wrong Paths

Written by Lauren Lind

Some say that the DWYL (do what you love) mantra will lead to the eventual decline of interest in what you used to be passionate about. Others say that you should find what you love and go with it because when you are doing what you love, it no longer feels like work.

I believe that you should have a passion for what ever you do for a living because it makes your work feel worth the energy. College students are at a pivotal point in their lives. I know this first-hand about what it is like to feel confused about what to be when I grow up. I ruled out grad school for a couple years and I knew I wanted to travel the world and help people. However, I also knew that I was going to have to support myself after graduation. I felt completely overwhelmed, not wanting to make a mistake by choosing one path over another. The truth is, there isn’t really “one” definitive path.  Finally, I have decided that I want to go into the industry that my majors have trained me for, simply because I love the field that I study. There are many types of jobs that advertising and communication can be applicable to, and I have decided to that I want to work in account management, brand strategy, public relations, or marketing. Some people may not feel that they want to go into the industry that their major has trained them for and that is completely okay because majors do not  equal careers.  I think that whatever you decide to do, you should feel passionate about it.

Howard Shultz, founder of Light-hearted Entertainment, attended Career Services Executives Tell All Panel a few weeks ago, and he said, “I tell my kids that whatever they do, they must be passionate about it. If they were to tell me that they want to be a garbage truck driver, then I’d tell them to go and be the best garbage truck driver there ever was.” He described being eager and passionate about what you do as one of the most important factors when entering the work force.

My father has been pilot for United Airlines for the past 30 years and he is one of the few people I know that genuinely love their job.He studied economics in college and originally went into sales. My point is that where you end up will most likely be very different from where you thought you would end up when you started considering your options. As for being worried about choosing the wrong path, keep in mind that there are no “wrong” paths at this point. So far, I have learned that one decision can connect you with people and things that you had never even considered before. Take a leap of faith and follow your instincts.

If you are unsure about what it is you are passionate about here are a few tips from Martha Beck:

•Quit with the “yeah-but” statements. Go with the yeah and get rid of the but. This will open you to infinite possibilities. Think about what you would do if there were no limitations.

•Get enough rest. If your mind and body feel fatigued and like they cannot be excited about life, take care of yourself.

•Do what you had previously considered to be forbidden. Many times the thought of doing something becomes a shutdown thought due to being judged by others, so instead surround yourself with people who support you.

•Follow your dreams even when you are scared. Fear can hinder us, but it can also provoke us to take action. In order to become unstuck, you must stand in the face of fear and embrace it.

Be passionate about whatever you do. Do what you love and love what you do. It is possible. If you are passionate about energy frontiers be sure to attend the Energy Career and Networking Fair on Thursday March 6th at 5:30 p.m. in the Glenn Miller Ballroom!

We'd love to know what you are passionate about Buffs! Tweet @CUCareerServ,  post on our Facebook wall, or leave a comment. 

Hat tip: Martha Beck



No comments:

Post a Comment