Written by Lauren Lind
While you are searching for a job, you might feel hopeless at times. Don’t fret! Here are a few things to be thankful for when job searching:
• The unemployment rate in the US has decreased almost 3% in the past 3 years.
• There are a lot more job opportunities out there than you thought possible! There were 3.6 million job openings at the end of 2012. About 80% of available jobs are never advertised (Forbes.com).
• Keep in mind that there are so many opportunities that you are not aware of yet, but somewhere someone is looking for exactly what you have to offer.
• Job opportunities are rapidly growing in healthcare, personal care, and community/social services industries.
• 56% of employers reported that a candidate rejected their job offer in 2012, which leaves room for you to apply for positions that may not be filled yet.
• Social media can be used to your advantage when job searching (read more here).
• There is always someone who is worse off than you. Be grateful for what you do have and be proactive in your job search. Help others and volunteer to help you gain perspective on your situation.
• There are a variety of different websites to help you find a job! Check them out:
1. Builtincolorado.com - Startups
2. http://www.boulderstartups.org/jobs/ - Startups
4. humanresourcesjobs.com - HR
5. AndrewHudsonsjoblist.com - Variety of industries
6. www.coloradononprofits.org/ - Nonprofit
7. http://www.aiacolorado.org/default.aspx - Architecture
8. Indeed.com – Variety of industries
9. http://www.connectingcolorado.com/# - Variety of industries
10. http://agency.governmentjobs.com/Colorado/default.cfm - State of Colorado
Job searching can be stressful to say the least. However, there are many opportunities available and you will find the right place for you. Remember that gratitude can be found through hard times as well as the good.