Written by Lauren Lind
You are a good intern, but how do you stand out from your competitors and become a great intern? It’s easy to get comfortable in any position you have been interning in for awhile, but remember that you are still in training and your actions do not go unnoticed. You should invest all your effort in your internship because your employers have invested their confidence in you.
Here are 7 tips to help you progress from being a good intern to being a great intern:
7. Don’t just follow directions. Think about what you are doing while you are doing it.
6. Be a team player. Although you want to be noticed for your efforts, remember that you are part of a team and refrain from being selfish.
5. Prove your smarts. Ask well thought out questions as opposed to a million annoying questions.
4. Put away your phone. We all secretly check social media or text when we should be working. Even if you think your supervisor doesn’t notice, they do, so try to minimize phone time when you are on the clock.
3. Be early. Good interns are on time, great interns are early and ahead of the curve.
2. Show that you are resilient. Everyone gets knocked down. We all have received harsh criticism at some point, however it’s what you do after the fact that proves your character.
1. Exceed basic expectations. Good interns meet expectations and get the job done, great interns take it to the next level and show initiative.
This is your time to shine! Remember to focus on the present while focusing on your future. Be a self-starter and you will reap the rewards of your efforts by acquiring new skills and possibly getting hired on full time. Save good for great. :)