Thursday, October 17, 2013
How to Use LinkedIn As A Successful Networking Tool
Written by: Lauren Lind
Before last year I thought LinkedIn was just for old people and those who have been in the workforce for a long time. However, this is not the case at all. The truth is, LinkedIn has some great opportunities for young people entering the business professional world and the sooner one creates an account and gets going on LinkedIn, the better. Many times, getting a job is about who know compared to what you know, so with that said, here are some ways in which college students can use LinkedIn to their advantage and successfully network their way into the business professional world.
Here are some great reasons to use LinkedIn:
• Find a job. Once the profile page has been filled out with details, users should set email alerts so that they can receive recommended jobs specific to them. They can then look on their homepage to find jobs they should apply for.
• Connect with all your colleagues, friends, and other students. One day your fellow classmates will in fact be professionals and you will have already started networking with them. Build up your network as much as possible and import your email list to see who you know is on LinkedIn. Use your connections to then connect to other professionals.
• Research companies and stay ahead of the competition. LinkedIn allows for students to check out the pages of their desired employers. Students can conduct a research on the location of the company, what the hiring process is like, and people’s opinions on the company. Performing this kind of company research on LinkedIn helps you stay ahead of your competition and increases your employability.
• Have people recommend you. Get as many recommendations as possible on LinkedIn from your connections. This will make you stand out and you will have a better chance of gaining employers’ attention.
• LinkedIn is global. For those who want to travel or work overseas this is a great tool to help with global networking.
It is important for students to fill out their profiles completely and with details because your profile will appear in more searches and your chances of attracting companies will increase greatly. Make sure to put in keywords that pertain to the job you have or the one you’re searching for because this will increase your likelihood of appearing in more searches an employer or a recruiter might do.